Monday, May 6, 2013

Tips for a Gluten-free Endurance Race

I ran a half marathon on Saturday.  It was my fourth one, but only the first time I have run a race gluten-free since I have only been GF since October.  Here are my tips for enjoyable gluten-free racing.


  • Check with the race to see what fuel is provided during and after the race.  This information is usually available on the race's website.  If not, there is usually contact information provided for races.  It's worth looking into so you don't end up glutened. 
  • GU products are gluten free!  The website for the race that I participated in stated that GU energy gel would be available, which is what I used for my previous races.  According to GU's website, all of their products are gluten free.  Check it out here.
  • Vanilla Bean
  • CLIF SHOT Energy Gel is NOT gluten-free!  I probably should have put this first because I think it is my most important tip.  I bought a CLIF SHOT Energy Gel for my race because it did not say anywhere on the package anything about gluten, wheat, barley, rye, etc.  I figured that it was fine.  When I got home, I googled it just to check.  It clearly states on CLIF's website that their energy gel is not a gluten-free product.  Check it out here.  I wish it had warned me on the package.  I wouldn't have bought it.  Here's an example of what it looks like.
  • Razz®
  • Bring your own food for after the race.  Most races, including the one that I ran, have various food and drinks at the finish.  Unfortunately, this usually means bagels and granola bars along with fruit, water, and Gatorade.  Obviously, I could have the fruit and drinks, but that wasn't enough for me post-race.  Luckily, I had planned for this and packed an extra Larabar and a Ziploc bag of Chex cereal in my gear check bag. This worked well for me.  Do what works for you.
What tips do you have for competing in endurance races gluten-free?

Note: I was not compensated by any party for this post.  All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment