Friday, April 19, 2013

Multi-Purpose Gluten-Free Flour Blend

In order to create quality gluten-free baked goods, you need to use multiple flours.  I like the King Arthur brand gluten-free flour blend.  I always have great results with it.  However, it can be pretty expensive, as with all GF products on the market.  Luckily, if you go to King Arthur Flour's website and look for gluten-free recipes, each recipe has a note telling you how to make your own substitute flour blend.  I have started doing this myself, and it is a piece of cake.  I haven't bought the blend since.

In a large bowl whisk together the following:

  • 9 cups (48 oz) brown rice flour
  • 3 cups (16 oz) potato starch
  • 1 1/2 cups (6 oz) tapioca flour or tapioca starch
Store in an airtight container in the fridge.

Note:  I did adapt this recipe a little bit.  I used the same ratio of ingredients but make 50% more.  I also just use regular brown rice flour instead of stabilized without any problems.  I always buy Bob's Red Mill brand GF flours.  For the brown rice flour, I just dump in two bags (24 oz each).  Then I measure out the potato starch and tapioca flour by the cup.  I never weigh them.

This blend has worked well for me as a cup-for-cup replacement for all purpose flour in most baked goods.  The only exception that I am aware of is yeast breads.  GF yeast breads are completely different from ones with gluten.  It is a science that I am still trying to figure out.

Recipe adapted from King Arthur Flour.


1 comment:

  1. Good information. Doh! I just saw your bio...you're a Mormon too! I googled Aldi GF baking mix because I wanted to see what others had done with it, found your review, then checked out this one for your baking mix blend recipe. I will have to try it out.

    ReplyDelete